With the summer coming quickly, we all look for all the different iced coffee recipes and coffee drinks to include in our daily coffee intake.
But, the affogato, or traditionally known as “affogato al caffe” is more than a coffee drink.
What Is Affogato?
The Affogato is a classic Italian coffee drink that pairs espresso and gelato (type of ice-cream). In Italian, “affogato means “drowned”, which refers to the fact that the scoop of gelato is drowned in shot of espresso.
There are many variations of this drink, using brewed coffee, ice-cream, and all kinds of creative toppings, which makes it more of a dessert than coffee.
Some variations also include a shot of amaretto, Kahlua, or other liqueur.
But, whatever you call it, it’s a definite treat for coffee lovers with sweet tooth, especially on a sunny day.
What You Need To Prepare The Affogato
- One scoop top-quality gelato, preferably vanilla
- One double-shot of espresso
- One chilled bowl
- Optional extras: whipped cream, crumbled biscotti, a shot of your favorite liqueur, crushed nuts.
How To Make Affogato
- Place a scoop of gelato in the bowl. Using a chilled bowl will help ensure that the gelato doesn’t immediately melt upon addition of the espresso.
- Pour the espresso quickly over the gelato.
- Add any extra toppings to suit your fancy ( I added crushed roasted coconut cookies and instant coffee granules)
Final Words From Me
I love this coffee drink, however, I can’t have it very often. I love ice-creams and gelato, but I prefer them separated from my coffee.
But, from time to time, it’s a nice change of the routine and as long as it includes coffee it’s good for me.
How about you?
Do you consider Affogato drink or dessert?
Write me in the comments, I’d love to hear from you.